Scholarship Sponsored by eQuality Scholarship Collaborative
eQuality is the joint effort of a group of individuals and organizations based in the San Francisco Bay Area. It began in 1989 as a scholarship program by Pacific Gas and Electric Company's lesbian and gay employee group, now PG&E PrideNetwork. The following year, the Bay Area Network of Gay and Lesbian Educators joined the effort. Additional members have joined eQuality over the years, and more are always welcome.
Over the past 34 years, eQuality has awarded over 460 scholarships totaling more than $2,000,000.
Applicants for all scholarships must have demonstrated service to the LGBT+ community. Applicants of all sexual orientations and gender identities are eligible for most scholarships.
For 2024, we are offering scholarships for four types of students. The eligibility requirements are somewhat different for each type. If you have questions, please email us before spending time on the application or deciding not to apply because you're unsure whether you're eligible.
Scholarships for Graduating High School Seniors and Recent High School Graduates
- be a resident of or attend a high school in northern or central California (see map of specific counties);
- have completed or expect to complete high school (or equivalent) between 1 Jul 2019 and 30 Jun 2024; and
- plan to attend or began attending a U.S. accredited post-secondary institution (college, university, or vocational/trade school) for the first time in 2024.
In 2024, we expect to award about 10 scholarships to assist with post-secondary educational expenses. In 2023, we received about 60 applications for these scholarships.
Adolph Y. Bremerman, Jr. Scholarships
- have graduated or expect to graduate by 30 Jun 2024 from an Oakland Unified School District high school (including charter schools);
- identify as a member of the LGBT+ community; and
- plan to attend a U.S. accredited college or university after Spring 2024.
Unlike the other scholarships, this one may be renewed once for a total of $12,000.
In 2024, we expect to award four scholarships to assist with college educational expenses. In 2023, we received seven applications for these scholarships.
Scholarships for Community College Transfer Students
- be a resident of or attend a community college in northern or central California but may study elsewhere (see map for specific counties);
- have graduated or expect to graduate from community college between 1 Jul 2019 and 30 Jun 2024; and
- plan to attend or began attending a U.S. accredited 4-year college or university for the first time in 2024.
In 2024, we expect to award one or more of these scholarships. In 2023, we received 14 applications for these scholarships.
Scholarships for Medical Students
Applicant must be:
- enrolled or committed to enroll by the interview date in an accredited medical school in California;
- pursuing a MD or DO degree;
- in good academic standing;
- not be completing medical school in Spring 2024; and
- not have received an eQuality graduate student scholarship before.
In 2024, we expect to award two or more scholarships to assist with medical school expenses. In 2023, we received seven applications for these scholarships.Go to Scholarship Application